The Evolution of Treading Grapes at Kanakary

Treading grapes (Small)

It started in the kitchen in a washing bowl

Barrell for treading (1) (Small)

Then we progressed to a large plastic barrel, which I have to admit, was so much easier to get in to, than it was to get out of.

Treading Grapes `16 (4) (Small)

As our grape crop increased, the need for a true grape tread became very apparent.  So, Vags set on and built this nifty little corner unit, especially made to hold friends and family whilst partaking in this enjoyable event.


The photographer (me), was unfortunately indisposed, (up to her knees actually), in wonderful, sweet, sticky grapes, hence the lack of photographic material for this post.

This year, 2016, due to the extremely dry conditions, the grapes ripened early.

We began harvesting the grapes early afternoon.  This was our grape tread`s virgin run, and I MUST say, (`scuse the pun), it was well and truly christened.  Despite having one or two teething problems, we identified them and improvised where needed. Once I`d clambered into into the tread, I was not allowed to exit.

Around midnight, we realised we`d trodden all of our harvest.

Exhausted, and extremely sticky, we left the clearing up till the next day. Gathering up the remaining pomace (stems, pips and skins) the next morning, we packed it into hesian sacks, and Vags took over the stomping process to press out the last dregs of juice.

Treading Grapes `16 (8) (Small)

All in all, we brought into the world about 130 kilos of white wine, now safely stashed in barrels, to await the results.

With a robust 16 ish degrees on the hydrometer worrying me slightly, I discussed the must`s strength with more experienced wine makers.  Sharp intakes of breath, accompanied by heads shaken from side to side, oohs and aahs, set my mind to thinking that maybe the must was too strong and the wine would ruin.

Now, it`s too late.  We` ll just have to wait and see.

85 days and counting!

6 thoughts on “The Evolution of Treading Grapes at Kanakary”

  1. I understand that you wouldn’t want to bore the reader with technical details but I’m intrigued by the “nifty little corner unit”, how has it been set up and insulated? 🙂

    1. It was simply block built and rendered with a special render. He inserted a pipe in the base, leading out to the front where there is a dug out area allowing a bucket or the likes to be placed to catch the must. We realised that the pipe could do to be a little larger and the area where the pipe exits the tread should have a hollow, a bit like a basin, where we can place some means of retaining the pomace, but allowing the must to run off without blocking the pipe. The means of catching the pomace in the basin like hollow, could be one of the local bushes here, which grows in such a way that it creates a network of branches.

  2. Let me know when the wine fest tasting begins so I can fly over from the US ! Looks like such great fun. Awesome!
    You go girl !

Comments are closed.